This is a bar stool that I found at Goodwill for next to nothing. 


Hardwood, totally solidly built, great patina (the picture doesn't do it justice) and with a very interesting stamp on the bottom. 



I saw it when I was loading it into my car and I thought "Oh I should look that up when I get home."
But I forgot.

I planned on leaving it the way it was, just oiling it a little, but I was going to take it to a market in a week and I already had a lot of stained pieces, so I thought it would be better to paint it. 

I sanded it, primed it, and then came to post it. 

The next morning I had this comment from my friend Shelly


"The first thing I would do is flip over that bar stool and check to see if it's stamped with S. Bent & Bros., Inc. stamp. I recently gave a simple color wash to a chair I had sitting up in my garage for a few years and before the paint was even dry my sister gasped "SHELLY! Two of these just SOLD on ebay for $400 ea"! My chair was stamped 1867 I think? Oops! My bad! Check it out! It may be your lucky day:)"


Oh. My. Gosh. 
What did I do?!

So I rushed onto Ebay and found a similar stool with a bid of $127 and still climbing. 

I know.

So I called some friends who deal with antiques asking (begging) if I took the primer off and restained it,  if it would keep it's value. 

Nope. 

So here it is now. I do love it, but I'm still kicking myself for forgetting to look up the stamp and succumbing to the pressure of painting. 




It's painted in Frost and Pencil Point by Behr and waxed with Howards Citrus Shield.

I love that's it's a little vintage and a little chic at the same time. 
It would look adorable in an entry way to leave your coat and purse on or in a kitchen or a bedroom. 

For more info look under the For Sale tab at the top of the page. 

PS My Mom painted the picture hanging behind it in high school. 
It's called "Love, Lines, Angles and Rhymes."
I think she should start painting again. :) 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top